This MOC is a tripod-mounted camera that can transform into an alienish spider. Please click here
for a YouTube MOC review showing the transformation, or alternatively you can view a much shorter stopmotion animation here
Most of the following was covered in the video, but I shall write it here as well:
- The concept was suggested by hydr0ph0en1x
on Page 35
of my comic, Hero Faffory. The characters frequently break the fourth wall by referring to a black machine that follows them around, documenting their adventures! Whether or not hydr0ph0en1x intended it to be a transforMOC I don't know, but I made it so nonetheless.
- In case it's not clear, the transformation goes as follows: the flash (which is a Piraka eyepiece that can light up) flips down to form the eye; the camera body unfolds into two legs, the spider body and two fangs, with the lens acting as the spider's abdomen; each tripod leg splits into two spider legs. There is also a removable lens cap, pictured middle-bottom.
- Despite the lack of pistons, the structure is very stable in both forms. In Camera mode, each tripod leg is locked into a straight position thanks to the connections between the two spider legs; in Spider mode, the weight is balanced out very evenly.
- The proportions of the camera were based loosely on my Canon 550D, pictured at the top-right. Ideally the tripod legs would be more cylindrical in shape, but this was difficult to do when it had to split in half down the middle. I'll admit that parts of this MOC were rushed.
- There is one slight difference between the MOC shown in the video and the one pictured here. The two black legs should be positioned on either side of the lens above the Metru thigh armour, as above, so as to distribute the legs more evenly; the arrangement in the video was imbalanced.
I hope you like it!Hero Factory (c) Lego
Desiging, building, photography (c) Rahiden